EternalPerspectives

This site is dedicated to helping us mere mortals get a grip on the fact that life here on earth is just one dot in our eternal life. May God gift you with eyes to see beyond the trial and tribulations of this world.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

This the season

The snow has fallen, the Wish Tree is open, Country Christmas is on Saturday and at work we're talking about cooking turkey!

This leads me to a pet peeve of mine. Why are we letting Christmas be replaced with "Happy Holidays"? It makes absolutely no sense to me. When reading the latest stat's on Canadian spirituality over 80% of us claim to be Christian; so what's the problem? Yes, I've heard it; we don't want to offend those coming to us from other countries. My question is, what on earth has this got to do with Christmas. It's not like Christmas is a Canadian invention! Last I checked it all started in Israel! It really struck me last year when we were putting the Christmas tree up at work; my Buddhist friend says "isn't this suppose to be about Jesus?" Around the same time I got an e-mail from my Hindu friend which said "thank you for taking me to the Christian Christmas concert" I'm thinking my friends from the other countries are getting a bad wrap. As well meaning Canadians we think it's nice an polite to down play Christmas for them but then we get upset that all these people from other countries are coming over and changing our lifestyle. This attitude seems rude to me; have they even asked us to change and here we are blaming them for getting rid of Christmas! Then there is this "minor point"; isn't a Christian a follower of Christ? And didn't Jesus have power over death? If so, why on earth are we being apologetic over such a wonderful truth! As an alternative to hiding Christmas why not show real Canadian hospitality and invite a new Canadian into your home to experience a Canadian Christmas. I've heard that less than 7% of new immigrants this year will experience a Canadian Christmas. If you want to do this but you're not so sure about bringing people to your own home there is an International Christmas dinner on Dec 10th in Toronto; they're looking for host(ess) and guests so if you know of anyone spread the word.

2 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I took a friend to see candy cane christmas the last year they had it. This friend is muslim. She really enjoyed it. We had a great talk about the similarities and the differences. We found out that we really aren't all that different after all. Neat huh.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Sherrill said...

Yes, the truth is Muslims and Jews share the same old testament stories as Christians and we all serve the same God the Father. This means they too believe in the 10 commandments.

The only real difference between Christianity and any other religion is Jesus and the fact that He rose from the dead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home